Date: 7/2/18 5:20 am
From: Scott Kinzey <scott.kinzey...>
Subject: Highland Park Bridge Herring Gull Nest Watch Results
I spent about an hour and a half at the Highland Park Bridge along the
Allegheny River in Allegheny County at first light this morning. I
carefully counted the number of adult birds and the number of juveniles. I
came up with 68 adult birds and 29 juveniles. My best estimate on the
number of clutches was 16 or 17 and each had from 1 to 3. If any had four
I missed that in my observation. The young birds hide out of sight much of
the time on the bridge structure. All but one family group were on the
curved arched beams of the bridge or just under. The other one was on one
of the five main bridge abutments. I don't think that they'll be flying for
another one to three weeks, but I don't have a good feel for that timing.
The high count of adult birds was early and some had likely already
dispersed so I think that the number is higher. Counts over 100 have been
possible here for years.
On another note there was a nice swarm of a mayfly like insect that I
had fun photographing. Would like to know exactly what they were. Many
were caught in spider webs.

Scott Kinzey
Allegheny County

Join us on Facebook!