Date: 7/1/18 7:10 pm
From: Tom Crabtree <tc...>
Subject: [COBOL] Whiskey Springs
I birded Whiskey Springs this morning. David Vick had the 7-9 shift and I
had the 9-11:30 shift. He can add what he saw. I know from his comments
that there was definitely a turnover of birds. Things were very active till
9:30am, then they slowed a bit. Things went from "frenetic" to "active."
Long about 11, things slowed. Bird activity was constant until then.

The "highlight" depending on one's viewpoint was a large male Black Bear
that came through at about 10:45. He was, I would guess, 300+ pounds and
had brown fur. He came from the road and was crashing through the branches
and went between the large firs and the Ponderosa Pine up towards the
spring. He paused, wondering (I assume) whether it was safe to go to the
spring. I made some noise and Athena barked 4 or 5 times and the bear
continued up the slope. That definitely got the adrenaline pumping. He
wasn't aggressive (typical of Black Bears) and seemed equally distressed by
our appearance as we were of his. Just a cautionary note if you go up
there, if you see one, talk loudly and let them know you are around.

In non-mammalian news, here are the birds I saw:

Rufous Hummingbird 3

Calliope Hummingbird 2

Williamson's Sapsucker 2

Northern Flicker 1

Dusky Flycatcher 1

Cassin's Vireo 4

Warbling Vireo 4

Steller's Jay 12

Common Raven 1

Mountain Chickadee 15

Red-breasted Nuthatch 8

Golden-crowned Kinglet 1

Hermit Thrush 5

American Robin 7

Nashville Warbler 1

MacGillivray's Warbler 3

Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) 34

Black-throated Gray Warbler 8

Hermit Warbler 3

Chipping Sparrow 9

Fox Sparrow (Thick-billed) 8

Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) 16

Green-tailed Towhee 1

Western Tanager 9

Purple Finch 7

Cassin's Finch 10

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46923145

And in the immortal words of Sergeant Phil Esterhaus, "Let's Be careful out
there."

Tom Crabtree, Bend