Date: 7/1/18 5:10 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Ochoco Mtns: Buffleheads at historic nesting site (Crook) etc.
I guess I should say something about this, as should Matt Hunter. There are some very preliminary, casual and informal discussions happening regarding the best way to keep Birds of Oregon: A General Reference updated in some way. At some point I suspect these discussions will at least brush up against the Oregon 2020 project.

The year 2023 is the 20th anniversary of BOGR but our data cut off in 2002 (that means that I am an old person, sigh...). As we all know, bird status changes. Much of what is in BOGR remains valid and largely useful today. Some of the distribution and timing information has changed more than the rest.

There is no perfect way to meet the demand for a definitive update because definitive status information by its nature does not exist. What exists is transitory the moment it appears. However, there is virtue in having as good a unified source for Oregon bird information as we can manage. Some of this (e.g. migration timing) can have a primary source in eBird. Some (e.g. habitat use) not so well.

BOGR did not do as much with population *density* as it might have. The maps were last-minute, limited and simply a replicate of the Atlas maps from the 1990s. Not bad, not great, and summer-only. That’s one reason why I made the hand-shaded maps in the paperback Handbook of Oregon Birds a few years later. That book had its own issues but is still useful as something to throw in the car.

It is unlikely for reasons of cost that BOGR would go into a full revision or reprint. However, it is likely that some kind of addendum, supplement or update can be done on paper and the web and would be useful. At this time there is no formal working group established to do this. My expectation is that Matt Hunter would be the lead dog on this when it happens, assuming he wants to be.

In the meantime, keep enjoying birding in Oregon and when you find interesting things, let the world know.

Cheers - Alan

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

> On Jul 1, 2018, at 4:02 PM, Joel Geier <joel.geier...> wrote:
>
> Alan & All,
>
> As I recall, your observation of a summering pair near Juntura was the second-best evidence for Bufflehead nesting in Oregon outside of the Cascades, at the time that Rachel White Scheuering was writing the species account for "Birds of Oregon: A General Reference."
>
> Nancy Stotz' observation of two females with broods on Delintment Lake this year is another full notch above our observations, on the "breeding confirmation" scale.
>
> Which goes to show, we're due for an update of the Oregon Breeding Bird Atlas!
>
> Happy birding,
> Joel
>
> On Sun, 2018-07-01 at 10:33 -0700, Alan Contreras wrote:
>> In the late 1990s I found Bufflehead hanging aroung the flooded snags at the upper end of Beulah Reservoir near Juntura in summer. I’m not sure if that site is still in use but I’m pretty sure they were breeding there.
>>

>> Alan Contreras
>> <acontrer56...> <mailto:<acontrer56...>Eugene, Oregon
>>

>> www.alanlcontreras.com <http://www.alanlcontreras.com/>
>>

> --
> Joel Geier
> Camp Adair area north of Corvallis