Date: 7/1/18 3:25 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Lost Lake (Meadow?) snipe winnowing in wee hours of morning
Hi all,

On our way home from a long day/night of bird surveys in the Ochoco
Mtns. yesterday, this morning (Sunday) my daughter Martha and I stopped
briefly to take a break from the road at Lost Lake, in the Santiam Pass
area of eastern Linn.

At 2:30 AM we could hear multiple WILSON'S SNIPE "winnowing" (the
wavering sound they make with their feathers, in their mating-display
dives).

I got to thinking, how long it will be before we stop calling this place
Lost Lake a "lake," and start calling it "Lost Meadow"?

We've noticed on other trips during May/June that the rush and sedge
beds around the north and west sides of the lake now extend much farther
out than when our family started camping there in the late 1990s,
growing ever closer to the maze of wet meadow/willow thickets on the
southeast side of the lake. On our last visit, a female Barrow's
Goldeneye looked out-of-place on the small patch of open water that
remains, even after a winter with good snow pack.

It's fascinating to see this natural succession from shallow mountain
lake to wet meadow happening in the space of 20-some years. Snipe seem
to like it now. I wonder if in a few more years, as the rush/sedge beds
continue to fill in, Yellow Rails might discover the place.

Happy exploring,
Joel

--
Joel Geier