Date: 7/1/18 2:11 pm
From: Joseph C. Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: NEOTROPIC CORMORANT AT BEAVER LAKE NURSERY POND
A Neotropic Cormorant at Beaver Lake Nursery Pond this morning may have been there since at least June 21. In terms of plumage, this bird looks quite a bit like the Neotropic currently at SWEPCO Lake-Eagle Watch Nature Trail. Observations for this species in the Ozarks date to 2011, all from Eagle Watch. Today’s bird adds a second location.

Other observations: edible blackberries. Tree Swallows still have active nests around the pond. A flock of American Goldfinches were apparently attracted to the downy-fluff of willow seeds – 8 in one tree. Orchard Orioles are still singing. A nice mudflat is developing along the pond’s north side. We didn’t see any shorebird migrants there this morning, but at least 4 Green Herons were present. A Ruby-throated Hummingbird was probing flowers of Germander or Wood Sage. Perched on leaves of Trumpet Creeper at the blind: a striking yellowish-orange damselfly, maybe Orange Bluet.

Overall, this was a wonderful Sunday morning service, very much in the spirit of poet Emily Dickinson:

“Some keep the Sabbath going to Church –
I keep it, staying at Home –
With a Bobolink for a Chorister –
And an Orchard, for a Dome –

Some keep the Sabbath in Surplice –
I, just wear my Wings –
And instead of tolling the Bell, for Church,
Our little Sexton – sings.

God preaches, a noted Clergyman –
And the sermon is never long,
So instead of getting to Heaven, at last –
I’m going, all along.”

Or in our case, most of this morning, until it started to thunder, lightning, then rain.

Join us on Facebook!