Date: 7/1/18 12:26 pm
From: Colt Gregory via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Great Fall National Park Sunday Bird Walk
Following is the count from Sunday's weekly bird walk at Great Falls National Park, which identified 33 species and included 10 participants. Our 8:00am start helped but did not avoid the heat of the morning. We saw a red-tailed fox trotting down the entrance road who cut into the woods, avoiding the entrance fee. We shared a shady resting log with a juvenile Common 5-lined skink with a long blue tail. The most beautiful find of the day were 4 Baltimore Orioles including a male/female set.

This walk meets at 8:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings, rain or shine, in front of the snack bar/concession stand of the Great Falls National Park Visitors' center; it does not take place, though, during electrical storms, heavy snows, or when the trails are icy. All those with an interest in the natural world, beginning or experienced birders, or those interested in nice walk in a beautiful setting, please join us.

Species and Count

Canada Goose 7

Mallard 5

Double-crested Cormorant 2

Great Blue Heron 24

Black Vulture 8

Turkey Vulture 2

Chimney Swift 1

Red-bellied Woodpecker 7

Downy Woodpecker 4

Eastern Wood-Pewee 5

Great Crested Flycatcher 13

Eastern Kingbird 4 Seen at Great Falls picnic center. Open area near the Potomac River. Appears larger adult Kingbird is feed a smaller fledging.

Warbling Vireo 1

Red-eyed Vireo 1

Blue Jay 10

American Crow 5

crow sp. 4

Tree Swallow 1

Carolina Chickadee 5

Tufted Titmouse 8

White-breasted Nuthatch 7

Carolina Wren 8

Eastern Bluebird 4

Wood Thrush 2

American Robin 2

European Starling 2

Northern Parula 2

Chipping Sparrow 2

Song Sparrow 2

Northern Cardinal 11

Indigo Bunting 5

Baltimore Oriole 4 A male and female. Either courting behavior or feeding a fledgling?

Red-winged Blackbird 1

Common Grackle 5