Date: 7/1/18 12:19 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Dunes & Hedge Area Sunday 7-1-18
Welcome To July Bird People,

Went to Montrose to see if any early shorebirds had put in an
appearance & there were 2 Least Sandpipers besides the usual Killdeer
& Spotted Sandpipers. This was a bit of a problem at 1st as one was a
Least for sure but the 2nd seemed larger & had dark legs. However, the
dark legs proved to be due to muddy legs as the top of the legs (mud
free) were indeed yellow.

The other questionable bird was a Forster's/Common Tern which seemed
to have attributes of both species but I'm leaning toward Forster's as
of now. We'll see.

And finally after several days of not finding any Luis M & I heard &
then saw 1 & later 2 YELLOW BILLED CUCKOOS with one calling quite a
bit.

On the beach were Ring Billed (65) & Herring (2-AD) Gulls & 4-5
Caspian Terns besides the smaller Tern. Spotted Sandpipers were hard
to find with me seeing only 2. The Killdeer family has another group
of young with me seeing 3 small young & Luis M seeing 4.

Swallows were Tree, Rough Winged, Bank & Barn with Barn the most common.

Up by the hedge area (besides the Y.B. Cuckoos) breeding birds were
House Wren, Gray Catbirds,
Warbling Vireo, Yellow Warbler & Common Yellowthroat.

Made a stop at LaBagh Woods on the way home to see if any Broad Winged
Hawks could be found as they sometimes nest at that location. Set up
my folding chair in the shade & watched for flying Hawks for 90 min.
Found 1 Turkey Vulture & 2 Red Tailed Hawks but no Broad Winged. Maybe
they aren't here this year or maybe they are found elsewhere. I'll try
again.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Y.B. Cuckoos & Runners-Up the the small Tern &
the Least Sandpipers which are the sign of shorebirds to come.

Today starts the 2nd license plate run (July-Dec) & Plate Of The Day
goes to one from West Virginia which was only the 2nd one I've seen
this year. Also saw one from New Mexico & Oklahoma.
Off & running!

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>