Date: 7/1/18 11:36 am
From: Dave Weber <dwbirdster...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Black Rail Seen in Alviso, July 1
I went to Alviso Marina CP this morning without knowing that Frank had
already been there and had heard a Black Rail. At 9:58 am I was on the
boardwalk at the second (from the parking lot) wide spot with a bench when a
Black Rail began calling very loudly along the west side. I eventually
glimpsed movement through gaps in the mat of dead reeds and several times
was able to see parts of the bird, mainly the fine white barring and the
feet. It was no more than 10 feet away. Note there is an exposed mat of dead
reeds several square yards in size along the boardwalk there. The bird was
just south of that under a less dense mat among the live reeds and other
marsh vegetation. By 10:20 the calls were coming from 10-20 yds further out.
At 10:30, back at the parking lot, I heard another Black Rail calling from
near the end of the small 'dock'. This is over 100 yards from where I last
heard the first rail calling from, so most likely two rails are present.

Dave Weber,

Milpitas