Date: 7/1/18 10:38 am
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Curry LE Owl 7/1/18
Saturday night I camped up in the Siskiyou NF near the Fishhook Peak
trailhead which is near Bear Camp. Between 4 and 5 AM this AM there was a
very vocal LONG-EARED OWL right next to my camp site. The habitat is high
elevation brush with patches of unburned old growth and lots of large
snags. It was in one of the tree patches on the edge of a brushy, snag
patch. I was up at 4,500’. Only my 2nd Long-eared in Curry.

I hiked the Fishhook Peak trail which should be called the GT Towhee trail.
I had singing GT’s the entire two miles out. I eventually found a singing
Fox Sparrow near the end of the short trail. It is same habitat- brush
fields with snags snd small patches of large trees that survived an old
burn. Other abundant species included: Lazuli Bunting, Dusky Fly, House
Wren, MacG Warbler, and Olive-sided Fly. Gorgeous wildflowers everywhere.
No sqeets but plenty of flies. Shasta was very white and Preston Peak in
high Siskiyous of CA still had a bit if snow.

Found Orioles and chats in Agness along with Chipping Sparrows and more
Lazuli Buntings.

The only terns at mouth of Rogue are Caspians.

Enjoy!
Tim Rodenkirk

Join us on Facebook!