Date: 7/1/18 7:02 am
From: Frank Mantlik via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Long Island Sound 6/30
6/30. A few of us cruised eastern Long Island Sound by boat with Nick Bonomo Saturday afternoon, curious to see what bird and wildlife might be out there. We visited the CT waters off Groton/New London, as well as circled Great Gull Is., Little Gull Is., and The Race in NY.
We saw no pelagic birds. There was very little birdlife (usual large gulls and a Common Terns) on CT waters. But the tern colony on Great Gull seems to be thriving, with one veteran Tern researcher, Joe DiCostanzo, reporting a minimum of 20,000 Common Terns and 4,000 Roseate Terns (on eBird). There we also saw 11 Common Eiders, 3 Glossy Ibis (flyover), a Turkey Vulture, and two large Gray Seals swimming along the east end. (Nick had also seen a couple Gray Seals near Falkner Is., Guilford, earlier in the day).
As the summer progresses, hopefully some typical seabirds such as Wilson’s Storm-Petrels, shearwaters, and jaegers will enter Long Island Sound.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford

Sent from my iPhone