Date: 6/30/18 4:05 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Cap's Ridge Trail (Bicknell's, WW Crossbills, etc.)
Jane and I hiked the Cap's Ridge Trail early this morning.  We were the
first one's on the trail at 6:45 AM, but the trail was soon packed with
people.  Generally very slow for the "specialty birds" of this hike, but
as always, a nice way to spend a morning.

Caps Ridge and LinkTrails, Coos, New Hampshire, US
Jun 30, 2018 6:44 AM - 11:52 AM
Comments:     Hike up to Pothole Rocks and down Link Trail for close to
a mile.  Calm, comfortable (59F) and overcast when we started, but
clearing and getting hot by the time we got back down to car at noon.
18 species

Hairy Woodpecker  2
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher  11
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Gray Jay  0     None at Pothole Rocks.
Boreal Chickadee  2     Only two together near start of Link Trail.
Red-breasted Nuthatch  11     Higher than normal.
Winter Wren  3     Lower than normal.
Bicknell's Thrush  1     Only one Bicknell's.  Heard calling softly, but
seen nicely at Pothole Rocks.  None at all calling along Link Trail
Swainson's Thrush  25     A bit higher than normal.
American Redstart  3
Magnolia Warbler  10
Blackpoll Warbler  32     High count.
Yellow-rumped Warbler  14
Black-throated Green Warbler  5
Dark-eyed Junco  14
White-throated Sparrow  8
Purple Finch  4
White-winged Crossbill  5     Together at start of Link Trail.  My first
Crossbills on the trail in a long time.  At least one apparent juvenile
and at least on adult male.
Pine Siskin  4

Steve & Jane Mirick
Bradford, MA