Date: 6/30/18 2:58 pm
From: Jack Swatt <jswattbirds...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Lempster Town Forest and Ashuelot Headwaters Field Trip
The heat and humidity did not deter 16 participants from venturing into the
Lempster Mountain forests on the joint NH Audubon Capital Chapter and
Forest Society field trip. Dylan Jackson and I led the walk through some
of the Lempster Town Forest and Ashuelot Headwaters Forest trails.
Highlight of the trip should have been the SWAINSON'S THRUSH that has set
up a territory in the Lempster Town Forest for the third year in a row. It
was singing yesterday, and this morning before the walk, but we could not
coax it to sing or make an appearance for the crowd. Surprisingly, the
photogenic bird of the day was a singing WINTER WREN perched up on a short
snag for all to see. Warblers were singing but were hard to coax into view
but most participants were able to get views of CANADA WARBLER,
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, and BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER. When we reached the twin
bridges over the Ashuelot River the finale was a COOPER'S HAWK circling
overhead with a mouse in it's talons.

eBird reports are linked below:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46901618

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46901614