Date: 6/30/18 1:53 pm
From: Stephen Eccles via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Possible Broad-winged Hawks, Fairfax County
Around 10.30 this morning, near Rutherford Park (where Guinea Road crosses
Long Branch), Fairfax County, I saw a buteo circling high overhead. I
checked it out, expecting a Red-shouldered, a common breeders here. The sun
was strong, making viewing quite difficult. Nevertheless, the tail pattern
was quite clearly that of a Broad-winged. Then I spotted another bird,
somewhat higher still. Same thing - a clear Broad-winged tail pattern.

Broad-wings do breed occasionally in the general area, but I haven't seen
one in the breeding season Fairfax County for many, many years (and then
only in the Clifton area). I do see a few in migration each year, though.

Because of the lighting conditions, and the relative rarity of this species
here during the breeding season, I am reluctant to record this sighting for
the Virginia Breeding Atlas, unless I find them again, or someone else has
also spotted this species in this general area..

Stephen Eccles