Date: 6/30/18 12:50 pm
From: Andy Frank <andydfrank...>
Subject: [obol] Kestrel Woodpecker?
This morning near the Portland airport I saw what seems an unusual sight
that I thought I'd share. There were 4 American Kestrels scattered over a
moderately sized area, with 2 of them close to each other and interacting.
These 2 repeatedly kept flying to and landing on the side of a power pole,
just like a woodpecker would. One even seemed to peck at the pole once,
but the other times they seemed to just land on the side of the pole, sit
for a few moments, and then fly off. After a few minutes they seemed to
tire of this game and returned to perching on the wire itself as usual.

Photos are at https://andyfrank.blogspot.com/

Andy Frank

Join us on Facebook!