Date: 6/30/18 12:47 pm
From: Alyssa DeRubeis <alderubeis...>
Subject: Swainson’s Hawk (Benton Co.)
Around 10:15am on June 28 (Thursday) I observed a low-flying Swainson’s Hawk at Chesney Prairie in Siloam Springs. It was on the east end of the property, just north of the parking lot, headed south.

I’ve been visiting the site almost daily, and this is the first one I’ve observed since mid May. Pooja Panwar saw one earlier in June.

We are at 58 Dickcissel nests between Chesney, Stump, and Woolsey Prairies. Painted Buntings are still singing at the Siloam Springs prairies. An added bonus was encountering an Ornate Box Turtle in Siloam Springs, an intricately designed yet declining prairie obligate. It makes all the chigger bites worthwhile.

Alyssa DeRubeis
Fayetteville, Washington Co.

Join us on Facebook!