Date: 6/30/18 11:09 am
From: Frank Vanslager via Groups.Io <Vanslagerf=<aol.com...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Birding at Ulistac on 6/30/18
All:

At 8 AM I spent 2 enjoyable hours birding at Ulistac Natural Area. I recorded only 31 species, but I missed a few, particularly the sparrows, blackbirds, and swallows that were too quick, and too quiet, for me. My best memories are of a very, very close Downy Woodpecker showing a number of views of the "dings" on the Downy's outer tail-feathers that help distinguish it from the Hairy. Some time later I had an equally close view of a young Nuttall's Woodpecker clearly showing its small "dings" that, in my past travels, have helped me distinguish it from the Ladder-backed Woodpecker. I wish I'd carried my camera.

Frank Vanslager