Date: 6/30/18 8:50 am
From: Ann Pettigrew <rook185...>
Subject: Re: Hayfield that attracted Dickcissels mowed, Lancaster
York County has grassland habitat at a landfill near Stewartstown. Randy Phillips worked with the community and got them to agree to mow only 1/3 of the acreage per year which has worked well to attract the grassland species. Apparently, they did mow the whole area this year because farmers were complaining about getting thistle in their fields. Not sure if that was the true reason or not. We are hoping that they will go back to the 1/3 rule.

Ann C. Pettigrew, V.M.D.
York, PA
<rook185...>
www.pbase.com/rook185

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." - John Muir.

> On Jun 30, 2018, at 11:15 AM, Stanley C Stahl <000000ccb896003a-dmarc-request...> wrote:
>
> The hayfield that attracted Dickcissels next to the Lancaster airport was mowed this morning. Recently, I had not heard one singing, so they might have left before it was mowed.Grassland birds are getting scarce around here. Fields east of Bird-in-Hand that, in recent years had Dickcissels, Savannah Sparrows, Grasshopper Sparrows, seem to have none now, at least from my recent drive by,limited visits seem to indicate.
> Stanley Stahl
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

Join us on Facebook!