Date: 6/30/18 8:41 am
From: David Zittin <dzittin...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Backyard birds
Hi Birders,
It's been an unusual year in our back yard for black-headed grosbeaks and hooded orioles.
Our backyard is in Cupertino, not far from Foothill Blvd and Stevens Creek Blvd.

Early in the breeding season 3 hooded orioles showed up, a mature male and female and an immature male. There are now five hooded orioles at the jelly feeder. There is a mature male-female pair, an immature male and two immature birds of unknown sex which were begging and being fed a few days ago, but are now feeding on their own. Apparently the breeding pair had a successful brood of at least two.

As an aside, if anyone knows of specific information regarding immature hooded orioles assisting with a parental brood or the brood of any other hooded orioles, please send email to me.

Also three black-headed grosbeaks are also eating jelly: a mature male and female and an immature of unknown sex who was also seen begging about a week ago, but now manages on its own.

-Dave Zittin
<dzittin...>