Date: 6/29/18 5:56 pm
From: <adamus7...>
Subject: [obol] Jefferson county birding
As Courtney Jett from Bend mentioned in her post yesterday, on Wednesday she
assisted with the Wizard Falls BBS route west of Sisters, the first time I'd
done that particular route. In addition to the great species she mentioned
us encountering, doing the route for just 6 hours brought my Jefferson
County list from almost 0 to around 60. Then, thanks to "Recent Visits"
postings on eBird as well as information in the online ECAS County Birding
Guide, It took only the rest of that day plus Thursday morning (birding
alone) to hit my goal of 100 county ticks, which is how some birders get to
know better a county's geography, landscape diversity, and avian habitat
relationships - not to mention having fun just watching the birds. I stayed
in Madras and mainly birded Haystack Reservoir, the Ogden rest stop, Rimrock
Springs WMA (seasonal pond was nearly dry by now), and Lithgow Spring on
Gray Butte. Notable was a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher observed at length at
Lithgow Spring. Of minor note were a pair of Western Grebes on Haystack and
a couple of Clark's Nutcrackers at Rimrock Springs. My observations can be
found in the 33 lists, some partial, that I submitted to eBird on my
smartphone as I observed. While en route to Sisters from Corvallis on
Tuesday, I also covered four "Project 2020" squares in eastern Marion
County that had little or no prior coverage, doing 4 five-minute point
counts at dispersed but accessible locations within each.

Paul Adamus

Corvallis

Join us on Facebook!