Date: 6/29/18 2:29 pm
From: Nancy L Newfield <nancy...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Some Results of our Banding Endeavors
LABIRD, Humnet, Humband,

Steve Locke, Tom Trenchard, Kevin Morgan and I work hard to demonstrate the
value of banding hummingbirds. Seemingly miniscule data points are huge
statements for us.

In the last few weeks, we have received re-encounter reports that span a
broad spectrum of geography.

First, an adult male Ruby-throated Hummingbird that we banded in St
Francisville in September 2017 was recently found dead in Virginia. We
hate to get reports of our birds being deceased, but each recovery or
re-encounter provides important information. The point-to-point data does
not let us know where this bird spent the winter months. The distance from
St Francisville to Virginia is approximately 860 miles. We await more
precise details.

Secondly, in mid May a bander in British Columbia, Canada, caught an adult
male Rufous Hummingbird that we banded in Thibodaux in mid January. The
distance travelled is more than 2200 miles. As with the first
re-encounter/recovery, we await more precise information.

Needless to say, our banding 'krewe' is thrilled to receive this
information. An image of our Rufous Hummingbird world traveller can be
found on the LABIRD facebook page, for those who participate on facebook.

NLN
--
Nancy L Newfield

Join us on Facebook!