Date: 6/29/18 12:40 pm
From: Courtney Kelly Jett <ckjannabirds...>
Subject: Re: [COBOL] [obol] Wizard Falls BBS (Jefferson Co.), and RFH for Elk Lake BBS (Deschutes Co.)
Grateful for offers from Jack, Jake, and Lars :-)
And, flattering, encouraging note from Paul !

I am going to run the Elk Lake route with Jake Schas, he can be available 2 days if we need the extra day, and I feel better about having that extra-day cushion; also, he has run BBS routes before; and, it has been a few years since an opportunity for us to get out and bird together, so I look forward to reconnecting with such a good one of our local birding community.

However, I’m also really touched by Jack W.’s (who I haven’t yet met)
“so please know I would genuinely love to run that route with you . . . “
— so if Jake S. and I get the Elk Lake BBS run, before Friday, and all is well,
— then, Jack W., if you still wish to, on Friday: I had given it up as not possible all to do in one week, but maybe it is? I do still have also the Davis Lake BBS, we could attempt ... still along that same Cascade Lakes Hwy, 30-miles south of Elk Lake. Davis Lake (just SW of Wickiup Res.) is split half between Deschutes, half Klamath counties, and the route is in Klamath Co., looks like much of it prob was burned in fire some years ago.
Let me know, Jack, offline, if that option also sounds like something you’d love to do;
or okay if not so much: we can also meet and Bird sometime that isn’t a BBS : I have often read listserve posts from you, also some Jack & Jill blogs, I will enjoy getting to finally meet you, sometime if not Friday, & I do really appreciate your willingness to help me :-)

Thanks for help ! Jack, Jake, Lars, Paul !
May we all enjoy birds this summer,
Courtney Jett, Bend

Courtney Kelly Jett, Bend Oregon
Sent from a phone that is all brevity, no wit
Sent from a phone low on wits, high on bits

> [...]

>>> May 27, I backed off a road into a ditch, vehicle fell over almost on its side, cradled by two trees. I was extremely lucky that people were nearby camping for Memorial Day weekend, and 3 fellow forestlovers quick freely offered and helped tow me out with 2 large trucks, I am so so grateful to them, (and, to feel more hopeful about humanity’s spontaneous/natural goodness!)
>>> But this is not an experience I want to duplicate; driving forest roads alone while multitasking, is not safe.
>>> It’s all too much for me, to do by myself.
>>>
>>> And anyway, 5+ hours of car birding is only enjoyable for me, with good companionship.
>>>
>>> June 27, I did really enjoy doing the Wizard Falls route with Paul, and it did inspire excitement in me to do the Elk Lake route after all,
>>> if I can find someone to help me.
>>>
>>> I need an Assistant to do the driving and time management, keep me on track;
>>> and enjoy quiet birding alongside me as I do my counts.
>>>
>>> BBS route starts birding at 4:50am.
>>>
>>> There are 50, 3-min. bird count stops, at 0.5-mile intervals; if we plan for only 3-min. between counts to get back into vehicle and drive to next spot and out of vehicle, and without any breaks, or follow-up on other birds, the route would take 5 hours (300-min.), to give an idea of how to schedule.
>>> During car drives between stops, I need to fill out forms/eBird.
>>>
>>> An Assistant can’t point out or ID birds for me, during my 3-min. counts.
>>> If desired, I am willing to say aloud what I am hearing/seeing as I count.
>>>
>>> Please let me know ASAP if this sounds like a doable and fun day (or two), if you wish to join and help me.
>>>
>>> Good weather dependent, my poss available days are:
>>> Saturday June 30
>>> Sunday July 1
>>> Monday July 2 (need to be home by 3p)
>>> Wednesday-Saturday July 4-7
>>>
>>> BBS data has a 40-year-history as very important for habitat Conservation, etc. Its data is more useful than a CBC’s, because of more scientifically rigorous protocol.
>>>
>>> I am excited to contribute, but
>>> only willing to run the Elk Lake route if I find help.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Courtney Jett
>>> Bend, Oregon
>>> <ckjannabirds...>
>>> https://m.facebook.com/tat.pand?fref=nf
>>>

>>> **************************
>>> eBird Checklist Summary for: Jun 27, 2018
>>> Wizard Falls BBS route—stops 1-50 (Jack Lake, Rd 1234, Rd 1230, Rd 1260, Rd 12, Rd 14)
>>> — route completed in 5-hr 59-min, beginning 4:50am.
>>> Mostly sunny, up to ~ 68-degrees.
>>> Full Moon today.
>>>
>>> The Wizard Falls BBS route tours from east flanks of Three-fingered Jack east to Metolius River of Camp Sherman, in Jefferson Co.

>>> 7 Turkey Vulture --
>>> 1 Red-tailed Hawk --
>>> 2 Spotted Sandpiper --
>>> 1 Mourning Dove --
>>> 1 Great Gray Owl --
>>> 2 Common Poorwill --
>>> 3 Vaux's Swift --
>>> 1 Lewis's Woodpecker --
>>> 3 Williamson's Sapsucker --
>>> 12 sapsucker sp. --
>>> 4 Hairy Woodpecker --
>>> 9 White-headed Woodpecker --
>>> 38 Northern Flicker --
>>> 1 Pileated Woodpecker --
>>> 12 woodpecker sp. --
>>> 1 American Kestrel --
>>> 1 Peregrine Falcon --
>>> 18 Olive-sided Flycatcher --
>>> 39 Western Wood-Pewee --
>>> 1 Willow Flycatcher --
>>> 11 Hammond's Flycatcher --
>>> 16 Dusky Flycatcher --
>>> 15 Hammond's/Dusky Flycatcher --
>>> 2 Pacific-slope/Cordilleran Flycatcher (Western Flycatcher) --
>>> 4 Empidonax sp. --
>>> 1 flycatcher sp. (Tyrannidae sp.) -- prob
>>> 8 Cassin's Vireo --
>>> 9 Warbling Vireo --
>>> 25 Steller's Jay --
>>> 3 Clark's Nutcracker --
>>> 4 Common Raven -- fledglings seen
>>> 2 Tree Swallow --
>>> 62 Mountain Chickadee -- fledglings seen
>>> 3 Chestnut-backed Chickadee --
>>> 2 chickadee sp. -- (prob MOCH fledglings)
>>> 87 Red-breasted Nuthatch --
>>> 11 White-breasted Nuthatch --
>>> 16 Pygmy Nuthatch --
>>> 2 nuthatch sp. --
>>> 20 Brown Creeper --
>>> 52 House Wren -- fledglings heard
>>> 3 Pacific Wren --
>>> 4 Golden-crowned Kinglet --
>>> 1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet --
>>> 6 Townsend's Solitaire --
>>> 17 Hermit Thrush --
>>> 15 American Robin --
>>> 3 Nashville Warbler --
>>> 50 MacGillivray's Warbler --
>>> 4 Common Yellowthroat --
>>> 5 Yellow Warbler --
>>> 122 Yellow-rumped Warbler -- (all seen, Audubon's) --
>>> 1 Townsend's/Hermit Warbler --
>>> 20 warbler sp. (Parulidae sp.) --
>>> 44 Chipping Sparrow --
>>> 59 Fox Sparrow (all sounded Thick-billed) --
>>> 79 Dark-eyed Junco (all seen, Oregon) --
>>> 16 White-crowned Sparrow --
>>> 7 Song Sparrow --
>>> 10 Green-tailed Towhee --
>>> 7 Spotted Towhee --
>>> 28 sparrow sp. -- mostly “chuncos”
>>> 67 Western Tanager --
>>> 6 Black-headed Grosbeak --
>>> 6 Lazuli Bunting --
>>> 1 Brown-headed Cowbird --
>>> 2 Purple Finch --
>>> 14 Cassin's Finch --
>>> 2 Purple/Cassin's Finch --
>>> 6 Red Crossbill (Ponderosa Pine or type 2) --
>>> 1 Pine Siskin --
>>> 2 finch sp. --
>>> 74 passerine sp. --
>>> 1 bird sp. -- (sounded like PUFI pik call)
>>>
>>> This trip summary was created using the eBird app for iPhone and iPad.
>>> Note: these numbers are Courtney’s eBird reports tallied, which are her counts, and include what more Paul noted aloud, and include encounters between 3-min. counts;
>>> these are NOT Paul’s official BBS counts.
>>>
>>> Note: other species encountered May 27 but not June 27:
>>>
>>> 1 Mallard -
>>> 11 Sooty Grouse -
>>> 1 Gray Jay -
>>> 1 Western Bluebird -