Date: 6/29/18 12:10 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden Friday 6-29-18
It's a hot one today Bird People,

I hadn't planned on visiting the Botanic Garden until shorebird time
in mid-July but I needed a place to go today which was near to home in
order to get an early start to beat the heat. I just saw expected
birds & I learned that the water level is very high & will have to go
down if there will be any
July shorebirds. When I left at 10:45 a.m. it was already up to 90 so
it was a good time to quit.
Here's my day list:

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:15-10:45 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (4)
Great Blue Heron (2 & 3 fly-bys)
Black Crowned Night Heron (3-AD)
Canada Geese (74, most in the Northern Lake)
Mallard (12)
Wood Duck (~25, at the B.Brown Pond)
Killdeer (2 by the Trellis Bridge, the usual shorebird area is flooded)
Caspian Tern (1 fly-by, the usual staging area is flooded)
Mourning Dove (6)
Kingfisher (1 fly-by)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (H-1)
Flicker (1)
Eastern Pewee (1 or 2)
Eastern Kingbird (1)
Purple Martin (8 at the west side Martin houses & 10 at the east side
Martin house)
Tree (6), Cliff (8) & Barn (15) Swallows
(noticed that there were more Cliff Swallows under the bridge at Rt
68/Dundee Rd)
Chickadee (4)
W.B. Nuthatch (H-1)
B.G. Gnatcatcher (1)
Robins (25-30)
Gray Catbird (7)
Brown Thrasher (a pair)
Starling (2)
Scarlet Tanager (1-M, singing)
Cardinal (1-PR & H-3)
Indigo Bunting (H-1)
Song Sparrow (10-11)
Red Wings (11), Grackles (6) & Cowbirds (3)
Baltimore Oriole (1-M)
House Finch (3)
Goldfinch (8)
House Sparrow (4-5)

Bird-Of-The-Day goes to the Brown Thrashers as they were the only
species I did not expect to see today. Runners-Up to the Black Crowned
Night Herons & the Scarlet Tanager which was also "Fancy Pants Bird Of
The Day".

License Plate Of The Day to one from Delaware seen on the Edens. Also
License Plate Of The Day on Wed went to one from D.C. seen at Fermi
Lab. It seems strange that I have seen several plates from Delaware &
D.C. this year & yet none from Vermont which should be easier to find?

Finally, I need to mention that on Wed I drove about 100 miles on my
Fermi trip & the baby Prius C was in fine form getting 70.3 mpg which
was one of it's best performances ever. Back to 62 mpg today.

Al Stokie
Close to home in Cook Co today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: