Date: 6/29/18 7:19 am
From: Leif Saul <leif999...>
Subject: [cobirds] Re: Dr. Alex Cruz
I am very sorry to learn that Alex Cruz is gone.

I've known him in a rather odd way - for some reason he and I had the same
activity times/home range so in recent years, I would very often run into
him on the CU Boulder campus, and also, several times at Walden Ponds,
often when nobody else was there, in late afternoons. He and I barely knew
each other (I was briefly in his department quite a few years ago), but we
would often chat briefly about recent birds we'd seen.

He seemed quite active - I believe the last time I spoke with him on campus
may have been in Nov./Dec. when a couple of beavers had been hanging out at
Ricky Weiser Wetland.

He was always friendly and ready to talk birds, even things that no doubt
seemed mundane to someone of his experience, despite our rather remote
connection.

There is a pile of discarded academic books that appears from time to time
in the hallway of Ramaley (where the EBIO program is located) and being a
bookworm I often check it. In recent months I took possession of a few of
his old books, so now I realize why they were there. (I also have books
from Suzi Plooster's collection -- many of you will remember her.)

I will truly miss how mysteriously I kept running into this friendly man
over the years.