Date: 6/28/18 11:21 pm
From: Robert Paxton <rop1...>
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Roseate Tern Banding and Aging Follow Up
More Roseate Terns than usual are being reported this summer at Breezy
Point, Nickerson Beach etc. Some observers may not be aware that Roseate
Terns have traditionally bred widely (though sparingly) along the south
shore of Long Island. The only big colony is on Great Gull Island, off the
east end (1600 chicks were banded there in summer 2017 by Helen Hays'
team). The next biggest colony used to be several hundred pairs at Cedar
Beach, but that colony was spooked by a fox a decade or so ago and has not
reformed. Since then, there are at best only a very few small colonies at
places like islands in Shinnecock Inlet. Maybe there's an upswing this
year, but Roseate Terns are not unexpected as a breeding species in small
numbers anywhere on the south shore. Knowledge of current breeding
locations is poor, so if anyone finds breeding activity this summer that
information (maybe not announced for a month or so to avoid disturbance)
would help conservation efforts. We are at their southern limit (they
don't breed at all in New Jersey).
Bob Paxton

ARCHIVES:
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01