Date: 6/28/18 6:00 pm
From: Courtney Kelly Jett <ckjannabirds...>
Subject: [COBOL] Wizard Falls BBS (Jefferson Co.), and RFH for Elk Lake BBS (Deschutes Co.)
Wednesday June 27, I joined with Paul Adamus as he ran my/his Wizard Falls BBS (Breeding Bird Survey) route for me, thanks Paul!
This was our first day meeting eachother, and we enjoyed this day birding together.
Paul did the official 3-min. BBS counts, while I merely leisurely enjoyed birding and eBirding :-)

We encountered total of 62 species,
including our best-ever views of poorwills, roosting and flying,
and a close-up Great Gray Owl! — first time I have ever randomly encountered one! (Location: Sensitive.)
Also, Wild Turkey and Peregrine Falcon and White-headed Woodpecker were new Jefferson county birds for me.

I include our complete bird list, of June 27, at bottom of this post.

* But first, to ask: *

Is any birder willing to help assist me in this next week, running the Elk Lake BBS route? along Cascades Lakes Hwy in Deschutes Co.

(Warning: we may need to do two separate trip days, since I haven’t yet scouted the 50 route stops, so if we go overtime as learning the route, would need to redo another day.)
It needs to be run before July 7, on good weather day.

If I don’t find someone to help assist me, I won’t do the route, and no data will be submitted for 2018.

This spring I signed up for 3 BBS routes: Wizard Falls, Elk Lake, Davis Lake.

May 27, 2018, I attempted to run my first BBS, Wizard Falls, but I failed,
determined the BBS protocol is too difficult (for me) to do alone by myself, I would need help, an Assistant, and I don’t have one,
so I gave back my routes, I told BBS coordinator Paul Adamus that I can’t do them.

So, this week, Paul decided to run one of my abandoned routes for me, Wizard Falls, invited me along to join him, to demonstrate/inspire me to rethink how fun a BBS can actually be!

The 50 stops with 3-min birding at each stop is a long day, but this part I can do, and enjoy,

but the 25-mile route is supposed to be done in “4 or 5” hours, (with maximum time allotment of 6.5 hours, if adverse weather), any time beyond which and they don’t use the data:
and my attempt May 27, took me ca. 9.5 hours.

June 27, Paul and I were able to do it under 6-hours, (would have been 5.25 hours if we hadn’t mistakenly birded 9 stops that weren’t the right stops! - to redo).

Alone, however, I am not capable of doing a route under this tight protocol. Keeping to a tight schedule is not one of my gifts, or joys.
I need an Assistant who enjoys schedule/order/protocol, as I enjoy birdsong/spaciousness.

Also, I’m terrible at multitasking —
while identifying and counting birds, timing counts, driving and paying attention to mileage and where are stop points, and watching weather and tallying cars, and filling out forms, ... is so much mental energy for me, and probably I move too slow/relaxed ...
May 27, I backed off a road into a ditch, vehicle fell over almost on its side, cradled by two trees. I was extremely lucky that people were nearby camping for Memorial Day weekend, and 3 fellow forestlovers quick freely offered and helped tow me out with 2 large trucks, I am so so grateful to them, (and, to feel more hopeful about humanity’s spontaneous/natural goodness!)
But this is not an experience I want to duplicate; driving forest roads alone while multitasking, is not safe.
It’s all too much for me, to do by myself.

And anyway, 5+ hours of car birding is only enjoyable for me, with good companionship.

June 27, I did really enjoy doing the Wizard Falls route with Paul, and it did inspire excitement in me to do the Elk Lake route after all,
if I can find someone to help me.

I need an Assistant to do the driving and time management, keep me on track;
and enjoy quiet birding alongside me as I do my counts.

BBS route starts birding at 4:50am.

There are 50, 3-min. bird count stops, at 0.5-mile intervals; if we plan for only 3-min. between counts to get back into vehicle and drive to next spot and out of vehicle, and without any breaks, or follow-up on other birds, the route would take 5 hours (300-min.), to give an idea of how to schedule.
During car drives between stops, I need to fill out forms/eBird.

An Assistant can’t point out or ID birds for me, during my 3-min. counts.
If desired, I am willing to say aloud what I am hearing/seeing as I count.

Please let me know ASAP if this sounds like a doable and fun day (or two), if you wish to join and help me.

Good weather dependent, my poss available days are:
Saturday June 30
Sunday July 1
Monday July 2 (need to be home by 3p)
Wednesday-Saturday July 4-7

BBS data has a 40-year-history as very important for habitat Conservation, etc. Its data is more useful than a CBC’s, because of more scientifically rigorous protocol.

I am excited to contribute, but
only willing to run the Elk Lake route if I find help.

Thanks!

Courtney Jett
Bend, Oregon
<ckjannabirds...>
https://m.facebook.com/tat.pand?fref=nf

**************************
eBird Checklist Summary for: Jun 27, 2018
Wizard Falls BBS route—stops 1-50 (Jack Lake, Rd 1234, Rd 1230, Rd 1260, Rd 12, Rd 14)
— route completed in 5-hr 59-min, beginning 4:50am.
Mostly sunny, up to ~ 68-degrees.
Full Moon today.

The Wizard Falls BBS route tours from east flanks of Three-fingered Jack east to Metolius River of Camp Sherman, in Jefferson Co.

Number of Species: 62-63

3 Wild Turkey --
7 Turkey Vulture --
1 Red-tailed Hawk --
2 Spotted Sandpiper --
1 Mourning Dove --
1 Great Gray Owl --
2 Common Poorwill --
3 Vaux's Swift --
1 Lewis's Woodpecker --
3 Williamson's Sapsucker --
12 sapsucker sp. --
4 Hairy Woodpecker --
9 White-headed Woodpecker --
38 Northern Flicker --
1 Pileated Woodpecker --
12 woodpecker sp. --
1 American Kestrel --
1 Peregrine Falcon --
18 Olive-sided Flycatcher --
39 Western Wood-Pewee --
1 Willow Flycatcher --
11 Hammond's Flycatcher --
16 Dusky Flycatcher --
15 Hammond's/Dusky Flycatcher --
2 Pacific-slope/Cordilleran Flycatcher (Western Flycatcher) --
4 Empidonax sp. --
1 flycatcher sp. (Tyrannidae sp.) -- prob
8 Cassin's Vireo --
9 Warbling Vireo --
25 Steller's Jay --
3 Clark's Nutcracker --
4 Common Raven -- fledglings seen
2 Tree Swallow --
62 Mountain Chickadee -- fledglings seen
3 Chestnut-backed Chickadee --
2 chickadee sp. -- (prob MOCH fledglings)
87 Red-breasted Nuthatch --
11 White-breasted Nuthatch --
16 Pygmy Nuthatch --
2 nuthatch sp. --
20 Brown Creeper --
52 House Wren -- fledglings heard
3 Pacific Wren --
4 Golden-crowned Kinglet --
1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet --
6 Townsend's Solitaire --
17 Hermit Thrush --
15 American Robin --
3 Nashville Warbler --
50 MacGillivray's Warbler --
4 Common Yellowthroat --
5 Yellow Warbler --
122 Yellow-rumped Warbler -- (all seen, Audubon's) --
1 Townsend's/Hermit Warbler --
20 warbler sp. (Parulidae sp.) --
44 Chipping Sparrow --
59 Fox Sparrow (all sounded Thick-billed) --
79 Dark-eyed Junco (all seen, Oregon) --
16 White-crowned Sparrow --
7 Song Sparrow --
10 Green-tailed Towhee --
7 Spotted Towhee --
28 sparrow sp. -- mostly “chuncos”
67 Western Tanager --
6 Black-headed Grosbeak --
6 Lazuli Bunting --
1 Brown-headed Cowbird --
2 Purple Finch --
14 Cassin's Finch --
2 Purple/Cassin's Finch --
6 Red Crossbill (Ponderosa Pine or type 2) --
1 Pine Siskin --
2 finch sp. --
74 passerine sp. --
1 bird sp. -- (sounded like PUFI pik call)

This trip summary was created using the eBird app for iPhone and iPad.
Note: these numbers are Courtney’s eBird reports tallied, which are her counts, and include what more Paul noted aloud, and include encounters between 3-min. counts;
these are NOT Paul’s official BBS counts.

Note: other species encountered May 27 but not June 27:

1 Mallard -
11 Sooty Grouse -
1 Gray Jay -
1 Western Bluebird -
1 Mountain Bluebird -
3 Hermit Warbler -
7 Wilson’s Warbler -
3 Brewer’s Blackbirds -

And astonishingly,(considering so much creek and river), some species NOT encountered on either date:

Osprey
Bald Eagle
Common Nighthawk
hummingbirds
Belted Kingfisher
American Dipper

Courtney Kelly Jett, Bend Oregon
Sent from a phone that is all brevity, no wit
Sent from a phone low on wits, high on bits