Date: 6/28/18 5:32 pm
From: Rich Rieger via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] here come the drones
Not sure how this will play out in other counties, but this was an issue here in Fairfax Co last year. Looks like the model aircraft people took their case to the state - I've had to "redact" a few links in the original email, but you get the gist... at least the FCPA is "hopeful", me, not so much. Rich Rieger, Alexandria

Hello!

You’re receiving this email because you’ve expressed an interest in the Fairfax County Park Authority’s unmanned aircraft/drone initiative or attended a public meeting on the topic. If you no longer wish to hear about this, please reply with “unsubscribe” and we will remove you from the list.

As you might know, the Park Authority’s further consideration of a future unmanned aircraft/drone program was placed on hold while the General Assembly considered House Bill 638 and Senate Bill 526 concerning the local regulation of privately owned unmanned aircraft. The legislation was adopted, with the change in law (Va. Code §19.2-926.3) effective July 1, 2018.

In compliance with state law, the use of drones on Park Authority properties is allowed starting July 1. Pilots are expected to abide by all applicable Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations, safety guidance, and airspace restrictions. We are hopeful that operators will respect other park users, stay clear of wildlife and natural and cultural resource areas and generally, be respectful in their use of unmanned aircraft over parkland.

The Park Authority’s website has been updated with the latest information, including guidance for pilots and the public.

This change in the law necessitates an update of the Park Authority’s regulations on remote-controlled vehicles in the parks. A public meeting and comment period, in coordination with is being planned for this Fall. We will send out more information once the details have been finalized, and we look forward to your participation.

Thank you for your interest and involvement in this ongoing effort! Please feel free to contact us with any questions .