Date: 6/28/18 2:34 pm
From: Kim Pierce <kmpier89...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Red Phase E. Screech Owl?? - phase vs. morph
For about 8 years we had a pair nesting on our property in Fairview TX near McKinney. He was a grey and she was a red morph. One year she came back to nest and he didn't. She hung around until she got hit by a car on our road. We had another reddish/brownish morph female but she apparently didn't have a mate and moved on.

Kim Pierce
Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 28, 2018, at 2:47 PM, <mitch...> wrote:
>

> Hi all,
>
> Different folks have different takes on it, but the one I liked
> best was that a phase is or can be temporary, a morph is permanent.
> Is it a color phase it is going through? Or is it a permanent
> condition? Phase was (is?) for a long time the more often used
> way of describing these things. It seems less correct though.
> It is not a temporal thing. So they should be considered morphs.
>
> My 2 centavos, YMMV.
>
> Mitch Heindel
> Utopia
>
>> On a side note (and this is definitely going down a rabbit hole, so
>> feel free to ignore if it doesn’t interest you), I have always used
>> the word “morph” when describing these color variations, but I
>> know many use the term “phase” or “form”. I tried looking into
>> it to see if one was more proper or preferred, but it appears to be
>> more controversial than I thought! Does anybody here have thoughts on
>> this?
>> Kendra Kocab, Naturalist
>
>> [1] http://www.pct3.com/
> Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds
>
> Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking permission from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!