Date: 6/28/18 12:43 pm
From: Deb Hale <debhale72...>
Subject: Big Babies
On a run at South Schoolhouse Ridge yesterday, I came upon a Carolina Wren
feeding a baby cowbird. The wren, I imagined, must be thinking, How did my
baby get so BIG?

A few footfalls later and I disturbed the order of Mother turkey and her
little line of poults, who quickly disappeared into the tall grass on
either side of the trail. Evidence of their recent hatching lay a little
further along: remnants of a speckled light brown egg, still slimy with
birth.

Down by the creek, new cardinal babies hid in a Russian olive bush.

In the wooded hallway, a pair of box turtles were humping (privacy,
please!) and a doe stood munching grass. I scared a large rabbit when I
approached the farmhouse ruins to get a closer look at the Orchard oriole,
singing away.

Deb Hale
Harpers Ferry

Join us on Facebook!