Date: 6/28/18 1:34 pm
From: <birdmt...> [MOB-Montana] <MOB-Montana...>
Subject: [MOB-Montana] WS WMA Report - 06.28.18

WARM SPRINGS WMA REPORT – June 28, 2018

This is the sixteenth count for the 2018 season. Temperatures ranged
from 52 F to 65 F with partly cloudy skies.

Total species for the year at last count was 129. I added one today,
Olive-sided Flycatacher. Total for the year is now 130 species.

Total individuals counted today were 1,494 in 55 species. Last count
there were 1,221 in 64 species. There were 13 species of waterfowl.

SHOREBIRDS AND WADERS:

One Black-necked Stilt, 2 - Spotted Sandpiper, and 1 - Wilson’s
Phalarope. All of the ARCO Ponds are completely full and there is no
shorebird habitat. The roads to the Job Corps Ponds and the Ducks
Unlimited ponds remain closed due to flooding. .

BIRDS OF INTEREST:

There were 52 American White Pelicans scattered throughout the ponds.

06.28.18 REPORT – The two Black-crowned Night-Heron chicks remain
alive and healthy. There is a good chance they will survive.

06.21.18 REPORT – Today I found two chicks in the nest that are
fairly well developed. Hopefully, predation by Great Horned Owls does
not take place as it has in the past. This is the only nest in Western
Montana. Picture attached.

06.14-18 REPORT The Black-crowned Night-Heron is still on the nest
and has been now for about 37 days. Incubation is 26 days and nesting
is 30. I have not seen chicks, doesn’t look good for a successful
nest. The male was with the female at the nest.

SUMMARY:

ARCO PONDS

50 species, and 1,360 individuals. This made up 91% of the total
birds.

SEWAGE PONDS

17 species, and 134 individuals. This made up 9% of the total birds.

JOB CORPS PONDS

No survey due to flood waters.

DUCKS UNLIMITED PONDS

No survey due to flood waters.