Date: 6/28/18 11:23 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Skokie Lagoons Both South & North Of Willow Road Thursday 6-28-18
Hello Bird People,

Went again to Skokie Lagoons South Of Willow & this time I did not get
rained out & was able to complete my coverage of this area past
Winnetka Rd all the way to where the trail goes under the Edens. Found
a few species I didn't have last time but nothing special. I took the
gravel trail (yellow trail) in & the bike path (red trail) back. Not
being a weekend the bike path was not too crowded.
Again I did not find any Yellow Billed Cuckoos. Here's my day list:

Skokie Lagoons South Of Willow Rd (7:15-9 a.m)

Great Blue Heron (2 fly-bys)
Black Crowned Night Heron (again 2 fly-bys)
Rock Pigeon (5)
Mourning Dove (2)
Hairy Woodpecker (2)
Eastern Pewee (H-1)
Eastern Phoebe (also H-1)
Great Crested Flycatcher (1, had a good look for a change)
Barn (12) & Cliff (3) Swallows
Blue Jay (4)
Chickadee (5)
Wood Thrush (H-3, saw none & I tried to find them)
Robins (11)
Gray Catbird (7)
Cardinal (6)
Indigo Bunting (1 singing)
Song Sparrow (2)
Red Wings (2-M), Grackles (6) & Cowbirds (4)
Goldfinch (2)

Skokie Lagoons North Of Willow Rd (9-10:30 a.m)

I'll only list new species for the day here.

Canada Geese (65) & Mallards (2)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (3) & Flicker (2)
B.G. Gnatcatcher (1)
House Wren (H-1)
Starlings
Warbling (H-3) & Red Eyed (4) Vireos
Yellow Warbler (H-1), Common Yellowthroat (H-2) & REDSTART (1-M)
Rose Breasted Grosbeak (1-M, singing)
Swamp Sparrow (H-1, way in the cattail area)
And I heard one MONK PARAKEET flying by north to south so I guess they
are still around.
Wish I'd seen it as it would have been Top Bird of the day!

I should mention that the Lagoons north of Willow are very flooded
coming all the way up to the bike path most of the way. I could not
get to where the Prothonotary Warblers usually are.

I think the key word for today will be "colorful" so Bird-Of-The-Day
goes to the singing male
Rose Breasted Grosbeak which I saw very well & for a long time.
Runners-Up will be the Great Crested Flycatcher (also well seen) & the
male Redstart.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>