Date: 6/28/18 10:18 am
From: Linda Solis <lskessel...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Duck ID help
Bill:
Thank you! I saw one of these "bibbed ducks" at Los Alamitos creek earlier this season with several, very "Mallard looking" ducklings in tow. I figured it must be a Mallard hybrid of some sort, but online searches showed nothing.
Linda Solis

On Thursday, June 28, 2018 8:02 AM, Bill Bousman <barlowi...> wrote:

Dear Romain,

Kevin McGowan at Cornell  <http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/domducks.htm> provides a nice discussion of the variety of strange or unusual ducks that can be found, mostly some variant of domestic ducks derived from Mallards.  In my experience in the South Bay, the most common of these is the "bibbed" Mallard.  The males are often encountered and are largely dark with a white throat and breast.  They are similar to a male Mallard in size and have the curled tail feathers.  Females that are paired with "bibbed" mallards often appear to be typical in plumage with a regular mallard, but some are darker as with your bird.  For what it's worth, the recirculation channels at the WPCP seem to be a population center for "bibbed" Mallards.

Bill Bousman
Menlo Park

On 6/27/2018 9:21 PM, Romain Kang wrote:

Wednesday morning 6/27 at the Sunnyvale WPCP west oxidation pond, I casually photographed an adult duck with young. When I got home, I realized the adult was darker than a typical female mallard, and didn't seem to match any breed suggested by the Merlin Bird ID app.
Here is an album with two samples from the same original, one with the shadows lightened to show more detail on the birds' exteriors.  I'm curious to know what they are.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BnMmPaT9EqiPnGQRA

Thanks, Romain