Date: 6/28/18 9:21 am
From: Sinclair, Kristen E. via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Selden Island, Potomac River (MD/VA line)
Greetings,

One of my colleagues was out birding 400-acre Selden Island this past weekend, near Lansdowne, VA. It's owned by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute/Janelia Research Campus and was formerly a sod farm; apparently the ownership changed in 2004. He saw numerous Grasshopper Sparrows and Eastern Meadowlarks in the grassy fields, and eBird has some reports from 2017. While he was visiting, the entire island was being mowed, right in the middle of the breeding season. He thinks from past visits that they also mow in mid- to late summer and possibly the fall, and the grass is always kept short. We were curious if anyone had information about the long-term management plans for the island, or if anyone else has birded out here. There is a bridge from the VA side only.