Date: 6/28/18 9:03 am
From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Whiskey Jack
As a gradeschooler I was disappointed to learn the variant(through
reading)"whiskeyjohn" which I have learned this week was the original
anglicization. It corresponds closely to the Algonquian. Then the
predictable Anglo transfer of "John" to "Jack". Resulting in an English
word remarkably close to another Algonkian word.lpn

On Jun 28, 2018 8:52 AM, "Thomas Love" <tlove...> wrote:

> There is no evidence of a tie between the Cree culture hero and Canada
> Jay. The site to which Mike referred does not make the link he claims (the
> bird with the culture hero); rather, “whiskey-jack” is said to be an
> “alternate spelling” of Wisakedjak.
>

> It’s easy to make the mistake of thinking words that sound similar have
> the same etymology. Look at the at times ludicrous attempts, described in
> that gold mine of place names – McArthur’s Oregon Geographic Names (the
> go-to toponomy reference), to come up with a possible origin for “Oregon.”
>

> Tom

Join us on Facebook!