Date: 6/28/18 8:42 am
From: <festuca...>
Subject: [Tweeters] "Summer Tanager" reported at Nisqually NWR
Hi all -

I usually don't pass on potentially-spurious sightings, but thought you might want to keep an ear out. I checked in at the Nisqually Visitors' Center this afternoon just before they closed, and noted that a visiting birder had reported a Summer Tanager along the:

"Twin Barns Loop Boardwalk, Riparian Side"

I mentioned it to the volunteers, and they said that a woman had come in to report it this afternoon, and was adamant that she was familiar with this species from the South, and had clearly seen an "all-red" tanager with a yellow bill. The volunteers at the Center had no other information on where, exactly, the bird had been seen along the walk.

I returned back along the boardwalk to look and listen, but could not turn any of the Robins and Black-headed Grosbeaks' calls into a Tanager. But, anyone there might want to keep their eyes & ears open.

Good luck, and let us know if you find it! ;-{)

- Jon. Anderson
OlyWA