Date: 6/27/18 10:07 pm
From: Charles Lyon <lyon5516...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Masked Duck 6-27-18
LA-birders,
Well….who would think that Paul Dickson would find a MASKED DUCK less than four miles from my home on his Leonard Road
property in a patch of alligator weed. Such is the benefit of an invasive exotic species I guess, and thanks Paul for thinking “outside the box”.
Paul called me yesterday morning just after he found the bird, and because of my work schedule, I couldn’t get out until until that evening. We saw
the bird briefly, but I couldn’t get photos, so I came back this evening after another day of too much work. The bird finally presented itself after 8 pm
at about 100 yards distance so the photo quality is limited. I did manage to get multiple photos of multiple angles and some open wing shots, as well
as couple of direct comparison shots with a female Ruddy Duck. This should serve as some assistance in aiding those who are interested in seeing
the bird, thus giving a better idea as to what to look for. I thought the “summer doldrums” would be a safe time to increase my work schedule, but after
seeing the female Goldeneye last week, and the Masked Duck this week, I will now need to readjust my schedule. Fall migration is about to kick in
anyway. The link to the eBird report with embedded photos is below. Jabiru anyone??

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46846776

Charlie Lyon
(Now in Shreveport and afraid to leave town)

Join us on Facebook!