Date: 6/27/18 8:35 pm
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] A Cooper's hawk - Starling chase
I just wanted to tell about the chase I saw today.

I was on a. dog walk in my urban neighborhood when I noticed two very fast flying birds flying over my head through a fairly thin tree. One was obviously a hawk in chase, but my first reaction was it was too small for.a Cooper’s Hawk. I don’t think I had ever seen an accipiter flying so fast. When they went past me the hawk was in close pursuit of the other bird.

When got around the corner the hawk was flying up to a limb in clear view on another tree, carrying a mid-sized bird. Perhaps it had knocked it out of the air and had grabbed it. Maybe it had been grabbed in flight.

I got my binoculars on them, and it was a fairly small male Cooper’s Hawk, with a still alive juvenile Starling in its talons. I watched it for a while, but didn’t really want to see the actual dispatching of the Starling not that I like Starlings.

It has given me more reason to think about the decline in larger birds in my neighborhood (other than crows), and the increase in really small birds, like bushtits ad Lesser Goldfinches. I will make a post about that in a few days.

Jeff Gilligan

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!