Date: 6/27/18 6:51 pm
From: Georgia Conti <antep12...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Slate-throated redstart
Two of us made the drive from Hereford to the stakeout arriving at 7:35 am
Sunday June 24. Bill stayed at the stakeout and I walked up the road
toward the campground after reading an eBird report. That fellow had
parked at the campground, dipped at the stakeout and was headed back to his
car when he found the bird.

This is what happened to me. After I walked around the curve in the road,
I saw a Painted redstart fly from the canyon on my left to the right side
of the road. Another redstart followed it. The Painted landed in a pine
tree close to the road (the second pine tree from the one on the curve of
the road) and what turned out to be the Slate-throated landed in a leafy
tree next to the pine tree. Both foraged for a spell and I got good looks
at them. They are common birds at my water feature on Lake Patzcuaro,
Michoacán, Mexico; I know them well.

Many of the eBird reports say the Slate-throated shows minimal white. My
bird showed normal white outer tail feathers. It fanned its tail a few
times giving me perfect views. I didn't get good looks from the sky down
so cannot comment on that view, including whether there it shows a reddish
cap.

I had spent 4 hours there earlier in the week without luck, so was real
happy with this sighting. ABA (sans Hawaii) #701.

Thanks Arizona!

Georgia Conti