Date: 6/27/18 10:39 am
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Grasshopper Sparrow north of Corvallis
This morning while working on a Vesper Sparrow monitoring site in
northern Benton County, Bob Altman and I heard a male GRASSHOPPER
SPARROW that sang off and on from around 6:15 am to 8 am. The bird had
an unusual song, missing the introductory "tick" notes, or sometimes
just giving a single "tick" prior to the long "bzzzzz" section of his
song.

It seems likely that this bird just wandered in from somewhere else.
We've spent many hours in this location since late April, so it's
unlikely that we would have missed him earlier. He seemed to be roaming
over a large area, rather than sticking to a distinct territory.

There's been a paucity of Grasshopper Sparrow reports from Benton County
this year. I haven't seen any reports from Finley NWR, which has hosted
multiple pairs on the North Prairie in recent years. Has anyone gotten
out to check for them there this year?

There have been regular reports from along Belts Rd. in SW Linn Co., and
from the south side of Baskett Butte at Baskett Slough NWR in Polk Co.

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

POST: Send your post to <obol...>