Date: 6/27/18 9:13 am
From: Holly Merker <0000002d9b0d8554-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Spotted Towhee Song - BSP Carbon County
To add to the discussion about Eastern Towhee mimicry,
I made a (poor) recording of one mimicking a White-eyed Vireo, here in Chester County a few years ago.
Short audio clip is embedded into this eBird checklist link:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S24032273 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S24032273>

Good birding,
Holly Merker
Chester Co., PA

> On Jun 27, 2018, at 11:02 AM, Brian Henderson <wbhenderson...> wrote:
>
> Here are a couple of mediocre videos with some Eastern Towhee mimicry on
> display:
> One singing a Carolina Wren song without any additional embellishment:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLn2DsVa2_s
> Another incorporating some American Robin into its song:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JkJENavIMM
>
> Brian Henderson
> Montgomery Co.
>
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 9:24 AM, Kate StJohn <
> <0000000f59b962a9-dmarc-request...> wrote:
>
>> Eastern Towhees can also make a variety of sounds/songs that are nothing
>> like there own. I've heard one that sounded like an American Redstart and
>> another that made an artificial noise. He sounded like a bird but he was
>> making a human gadget sound. It took us a while to figure out who was
>> making the sound. I wish we'd recorded it.
>>
>> Kate St. John, Pittsburgh
>> Visit my bird/nature blog at birdsOutsideMyWindow.org

Join us on Facebook!