Date: 6/27/18 6:50 am
From: Ashley Peele via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] New VA BBA Maps now on eBird
Good morning, Birders!

An exciting new VABBA2 mapping tool has just launched on the project's
eBird portal (ebird.org/atlasva)! The active Atlas projects (including us
(VA) and WI) have been developing this set of tools with Cornell for a long
time and are very excited to now be able to share it with you all.

Using the VABBA2 portal's Explore page, you can now navigate to a series of
Effort Maps (https://ebird.org/atlasva/effortmap), which allow you to
visualize various data layers by Atlas block. For example, you can now see
a map of diurnal effort, coded species, and confirmed species updated
daily. When you zoom in on these maps, you will be able to see Priority
blocks for your region.

https://ebird.org/atlasva/effortmap

Please take a few minutes to check out this great new tool. Our hope is
that this will make it much easier for our volunteers to see *where* and *what
type* of Atlas effort, e.g. nocturnal surveys, additional breeding codes,
etc., is still needed in their region OR in a region that they are
interested in visiting.

This summer, our volunteer community has been bringing it's A-game to help
us begin filling major gaps in the state, getting data in those empty
priority blocks, and working to close out well-surveyed priority blocks. *The
response to our various calls for help and the number of people we have
seen stepping up to take on active Atlas roles in their communities has
been nothing short of inspiring. *

Thanks to you all from both myself and all of our local and regional
coordinators!

Ashley Peele, PhD
Virginia Breeding Bird Atlas Coordinator
Conservation Management Institute - Virginia Tech
Office: 540-231-9182
Fax: 540-231-7019