Date: 6/27/18 6:16 am
From: Robert DeCandido PhD via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Red-breasted Nuthatch - RFI (CT!)
In the last few days, Red-breasted Nuthatches have been seen in two
NYC Parks (see post below to NY State Birds List by Deborah Allen) -
in Central Park (24 June) and NYBG (Bronx) on 26 June. This might be
another irruption year...as one was also found in Massachusetts
(Westport) on 17 June. See below for the first 2016 reports of
Red-breasted Nuthatches in CT (17 June at Stratford Point by Patrick
Comins) and 26 June (the drive to Westport by Brenda Inskeep). If you
recall, 2016 was an irruption year for these birds in the eastern
half of the country - and the first reports came from CT in June.

After the passage of a cold front with associated northwest winds
would be the best time to look for RBNUs...and one might also look
for Pine Siskins as we have not had an irruption year for those birds
in several years...
----------------------------
Sitta canadensis [Red-breasted Nuthatch]. An unusual flight of the
Red-breasted Nuthatch was observed here from Sept. 27 to Oct. 23,
1892, the height of the migration being about the middle of October.
They were quite common in other sections of the State during the same
period. JNO. H. SAGE, Portland, Conn.
----------------------------
Subject: Probable Red-Breasted Nuthatch, Stratford Point
Date: 17 June 2016
From: ctbirds AT lists.ctbirding.org

I heard a Red-breasted Nuthatch call a couple of times at Stratford
Point today. First from the white pines along the driveway and then
from inside the "Coast Guard strip". I never saw the bird. I'm
calling it a probable and probably won't ebird it since immature
White-breasted can sometimes sound similar, but this sure sounded
like an RBNU. Maybe others will have some, as they sometimes show up
early in advance of irruption years (hope hope).

Patrick

==========================
Subject: Red-breasted Nuthatch Stamford
Date: Sun Jun 26 2016 17:28 pm
From: ctbirds AT lists.ctbirding.org

26 June 2016 - this morning there was a Red-breasted Nuthatch loudly
vocalizing and seen well at the corner of Shippan and the drive to
West Beach in the spruce grove on that corner. It is my 3rd sighting
of RB Nuthatch in southern areas this month. Also at West Beach this
morning was an adult Orchard Oriole perched atop a tree located
directly over the shack in the first parking lot. It has been at
this location for three consecutive mornings, reliably at 0600-ish.

Brenda Inskeep in Stamford
=============================
Subject: Red-breasted Nuthatches - Central Park, NYC & NYBG, Bronx
Date: Tue Jun 26 2018 11:40 am
From: dallenyc AT earthlink.net

Red-breasted Nuthatches - Central Park, NYC & NYBG, Bronx
Tuesday, June 26, 2018
OBS: Robert DeCandido, PhD

Prompted by the discovery of a Red-breasted Nuthatch in the Central
Park Ramble Sunday Morning (June 24) with a photo posted on twitter
by @jian_birdcp (see https://twitter.com/birdcentralpark for
details), Bob found at least three Red-breasted Nuthatches today in
the extensive conifer plantings at the NYBG in the Bronx.

The last time Red-breasted Nuthatches appeared in NYC this early was
in 2016, when we found two on Saturday June 25 at NYBG in the Bronx
on our Saturday morning bird walk. The following day, Sunday June 26,
again on our bird walk, Jeff Ward found one on the east side of the
Ramble in Central Park

That same week in June 2016, others had previously reported seeing
early arriving Red-breasted Nuthatches in New Jersey as well as
Connecticut on their respective state lists. Autumn 2016 proved to be
an irruption year for Red-breasted Nuthatches until mid-October when
the numbers of birds reported declined significantly in our area.

Twitter, particularly the different alerts for each NYC borough, has
been invaluable in getting immediate information out to interested
persons - and has helped birders to communicate with each other in
real time. Thank You to David Barrett for setting up these alerts.

There does not appear to be any correlation between irruptions of
Red-breasted Nuthatches and irruptions of winter finches, as this
2005 post from the Delaware list points out:

"Probably the greatest year for winter finches was 1969-1970, which
was also a good year for Red-Breasted Nuthatches. 1977 was another
good winter finch year, but there were almost no RED-BREASTED
NUTHATCHES found. 1982 was a good year for RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, but
there were only PURPLE FINCHES in the area. Despite all efforts,
there doesn't seem to be a correlation between invasion years for
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES and winter finches. You can get this
information from looking at Christmas Count Data."

Bob also found fledged Cedar Waxwings this morning at the NYBG.

Deb Allen

Follow us on twitter @BirdingBobNYC & @DAllenNYC