Date: 6/26/18 8:48 pm
From: Clifford Cathers <cacathers...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] AZ:06/24/2018:TAS Trip Carr Canyon
My apologies for the late post, but on Saturday June 24, 2018 I led the
Tucson Audubon Society field trip to Carr Canyon in the Huachuca Mountains
near Sierra Vista. It was a gorgeous day in the range and birds were
fairly plentiful.

The best bird of the morning was likely a fairly cooperative female RED
CROSSBILL who alerted us with her "kip kip" call notes and then perched in
the open for a few moments. A butterscotch OLIVE WARBLER was a close
second on the popularity list. BUFF-BREASTED FLYCATCHERs were downright
numerous (perhaps 18-20?) and were calling frequently and perching in the
sun atop manzanita bushes. A singing EASTERN BLUEBIRD was nice and the
soaring ZONE-TAILED HAWKs were entertaining as always. GRACE'S WARBLERs
produced a few "oooos" and "ahhhs" and a silent GREATER PEWEE put on a
flycatching show.

Other birds included WHITE-THROATED SWIFTs, ACORN WOODPECKER, WESTERN WOOD
PEWEEs, DUSKY-CAPPED FLYCATCHERs, HUTTON'S and PLUMBEOUS VIREOs, BROWN
CREEPER, HERMIT THRUSHes, SPOTTED TOWHEEs, YELLOW-EYED JUNCOs, BLACK-HEADED
GROSBEAKs, a brief HEPATIC TANAGER flyby and a few other species.

Clifford A. Cathers
Vail, AZ
<AZCliffy...>