Date: 6/26/18 8:41 pm
From: Bill Bousman <barlowi...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Mountain View
Folks:

This morning, 6/26/18, I visited Charleston Slough and nearby areas.
Most of our shorebirds return in early July, but AMERICAN AVOCETS and
WILLETS come back in large numbers by mid June.  At the end of May, I
counted 31 avocets and two Willets in the slough. Today, I tallied 575
avocets and 725 Willets.  Based on the last three years, these large
numbers begin to build about the middle of June.

Two female-plumaged SURF SCOTERS were together on Shoreline Lake.  A
BLACK SKIMMER was on the island on the lake, but disappeared while I was
completing my scan and I never re-found it.  A SY RING-BILLED GULL was
on the old hunter's dock in Pond A1.  A female BLUE-WINGED/CINNAMON TEAL
with five ducklings was in the Mountain View Forebay near the
pumphouse.  It plumage was more gray than tan and it had a dark eyeline
that offset white half circles about the eye.  It also had a noticeable
white spot at the base of its bill.

Bill Bousman
Menlo Park