Date: 6/26/18 7:12 pm
From: Justin Bosler <justin.bosler...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Southbound shorebirds
Willie,

I would posit that your Long-billed Dowitcher likely never left for the
summer as opposed to it being an unprecedentedly early S-bound migrant. The
thing about LBDO is that they undergo a prebasic molt at a molt-migration
stopover site well north of Texas in the fall before arriving here, so when
they do reach Texas they are in full basic plumage. They are usually one of
the latest arriving species in the fall. I'm probably preaching to the
choir here but others may not know this about the species.

On a side note, Lesser Yellowlegs have arrived in the South Plains this
week.

Good (shore)birding!
Justin Bosler
currently in Lubbock, TX

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 5:59 PM, Willie Sekula <williebird22...>
wrote:

> Justin et al,
> I had a breeding plumaged Long-billed Dowitcher at the Calallen Sod Farm
> this past Sunday [June 29th].
>
> Willie Sekula
> Falls City
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Jun 23, 2018, at 5:33 PM, Justin Bosler <justin.bosler...>
> wrote:
> >
> > Texbirds,
> >
> > By early June, we had Long-billed Curlews returning to the coast, then
> earlier this week, the first adult Western Willets were noted at various
> locations across Central Texas, and now we have Greater Yellowlegs in the
> South Plains. Yesterday, I noted 3 at a playa near Southland in Garza
> County. I am now more convinced that the 3 I had in Pecos County last week
> were, indeed, S-bound migrants as opposed to summering. Before long, Least
> Sandpipers will be back.
> >
> > Good birding!
> > Justin Bosler
> > currently in the air between Dallas and Austin

Join us on Facebook!