Date: 6/26/18 4:54 pm
From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Southbound shorebirds
Looked at shorebirds today for migrants. East beach Galveston had none as
the snowy plovers wore local breeding bird bands and no piping plover
anywhere. But soon.

Over on Bolivar flats, had a dozen returning marbled godwits with orange
bills. One already dropping feathers. Several western willets joining the
summering non-breeding plumaged birds. Found no other migrants.

The cool godwit was a 2014 locally banded bird (November 2014) that used to
have a radio but has apparently shed it. I had it on June 30, 2016 and
subsequent weeks but missed it since then. The Audubon people had it last
winter. So it arrived right on time. With my trips about a week apart it is
effectively the same arrival time. It did not have an orange bill in 2016
so may not have bred that year.

Did have 26 semipalmated plovers on east beach but that number has been
summering and roosting. Had about 65 on bolivar flats but half that number
have been summering and if beach people got out on Galveston, the birds
there fly across to Bolivar.

2 gray knots, 2 short-billed dowitchers and other non-breeding shorebirds
made a good list. Lots of baby terns of many local species

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston

Join us on Facebook!