Date: 6/26/18 3:50 pm
From: Dave Slager <dave.slager...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] White Pelicans Nisqually
Hi John,

This time of year American White Pelicans undergo a presupplemental
head molt. Some individuals get an impressive amount of blackish on
the head and neck, and your photo is a great example of the variation
seen among individuals. The timing of this molt generally coincides
with the loss of the bill horn during the breeding season. You can
read more about it here:

https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/condor/v077n03/p0356-p0359.pdf

Good birding,

Dave Slager