Date: 6/26/18 2:23 pm
From: David Muth <MuthD...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] Paris road chalmette
Since the closure of the Miss. River Gulf Outlet in 2009 the entire Pontchartrain Basin has begun freshening but especially in the Central Wetlands area that Paris Rd bisects. So it is all returning to the kind of freshwater wetland —Purple Gallinule habitat— that was there before the dredging of the outlet in the 1960s.

David Muth
New Orleans

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 26, 2018, at 4:16 PM, Peter H Yaukey <PYaukey...> wrote:
>
> To my knowledge this is the first Purple Gallinule on Paris Rd, at least since Katrina- nice! (I haven't checked ebird, but I bird the roadside ditch on Paris Rd frequently).
>

> Look into Gull-billed and Forster's for the tern- they are the most likely medium-sized terns in the New Orleans area in summer. The black bill points toward Gull-billed.
>

> PY

Join us on Facebook!