Date: 6/26/18 12:32 pm From: Mike Unger <unger730...> Subject: [obol] SAS Shorts: Keizer Rapids Park Bird Walk Report
*SAS Shorts: Keizer Rapids Park Bird Walk Report*
*June 26, 2018*
I led a bird walk at Keizer Rapids Park on Tuesday morning. I was joined by 15 other birdwatchers including birders from Eugene, Portland and Corvallis (there were several people who moved here from the east coast). We walked 1.8 miles which is a little more than is normal for a shorts walk. The group was met with a glorious morning with partly sunny skies and very comfortable temperatures. The temperature was 60 degrees at the start and 65 degrees at the end of the bird walk. The bird activity was very good overall with a total of 37 species identified (seen and/or heard).
The highlights were as follows:
- We saw a *Common Nighthawk* resting on a horizontal limb on the lower trail. The nighthawk really blended in well with its surroundings;
- The river was extremely busy as we saw several *Osprey*, *Bald Eagles*, a couple of *Great Blue Herons* as well as a female *Mallard* with several young ones. There was also a *Belted Kingfisher* and a lot of *Cedar Waxwings* catching insects along the river. In addition, a *Spotted Sandpiper* was along the near edge of the river just down from the boat ramp;
- We saw a couple of *Yellow Warblers *with one of them singing up a storm;
- We saw a *Downy Woodpecker* and a couple of *Northern Flickers*;
- We saw a *Rufous Hummingbird* along the lower trail and a few nuthatches; and
- As usual there were a lot of *White-crowned Sparrows *with many of them singing.
The next field trip is the *Minto-Brown Island Park bird walk* on *Thursday, July 5th at 7:00 a.m.* Meet at Parking Lot #3. The Ankeny NWR field trip is scheduled for *Saturday, July 21st at 7:00 AM.* Meet at the Eagle Marsh parking lot off of Buena Vista Rd. (*Note:* *This is a change in meeting location.*) The next *SAS Shorts* is at Minto-Brown Island Park on *Wednesday, July 25th at 6:30 PM.* Meet at Parking Lot #3. Please join us if you can.
Another unique bird walk opportunity is scheduled for *Monday, July 23rd* at Illahe Hills Country Club. It begins at 8:00 am and will end by 11:00 am. Meet in front of the golf course clubhouse. We saw a female Great Horned Owl and its baby owl on our last trip.
*Keizer Rapids Park Checklist Summary for June 26, 2018*
*Identified Species: 37*
*Checklists included in this summary: 1*
* Checklist: *Keizer Rapids Park on Jun 26, 2018 @ 8:47 AM
10 Mallard 2 Great Blue Heron 2 Turkey Vulture 3 Osprey 3 Bald Eagle 1 Spotted Sandpiper 2 Eurasian Collared-Dove
1 Mourning Dove 1 Common Nighthawk 3 Anna's Hummingbird 1 Rufous Hummingbird 1 Belted Kingfisher 1 Downy Woodpecker 2 Northern Flicker 1 American Kestrel 3 Western Wood-Pewee 1 Steller's Jay 1 California Scrub-Jay
1 Northern Rough-winged Swallow 4 Tree Swallow 3 Violet-green Swallow 2 Black-capped Chickadee 1 Red-breasted Nuthatch 3 White-breasted Nuthatch 3 Brown Creeper 3 Bewick's Wren 2 Swainson's Thrush 8 American Robin 9 Cedar Waxwing 3 Yellow Warbler 12 White-crowned Sparrow 2 Song Sparrow 6 Spotted Towhee 2 Black-headed Grosbeak 2 Brown-headed Cowbird 3 American Goldfinch 1 House Sparrow