Date: 6/26/18 12:32 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Shorts: Keizer Rapids Park Bird Walk Report
*SAS Shorts: Keizer Rapids Park Bird Walk Report*

*June 26, 2018*

I led a bird walk at Keizer Rapids Park on Tuesday morning. I was joined
by 15 other birdwatchers including birders from Eugene, Portland and
Corvallis (there were several people who moved here from the east coast). We
walked 1.8 miles which is a little more than is normal for a shorts walk. The
group was met with a glorious morning with partly sunny skies and very
comfortable temperatures. The temperature was 60 degrees at the start and
65 degrees at the end of the bird walk. The bird activity was very good
overall with a total of 37 species identified (seen and/or heard).

The highlights were as follows:

- We saw a *Common Nighthawk* resting on a horizontal limb on the
lower trail. The nighthawk really blended in well with its surroundings;

- The river was extremely busy as we saw several *Osprey*, *Bald
Eagles*, a couple of *Great Blue Herons* as well as a female *Mallard* with
several young ones. There was also a *Belted Kingfisher* and a lot of *Cedar
Waxwings* catching insects along the river. In addition, a *Spotted
Sandpiper* was along the near edge of the river just down from the boat
ramp;

- We saw a couple of *Yellow Warblers *with one of them singing up a
storm;

- We saw a *Downy Woodpecker* and a couple of *Northern Flickers*;

- We saw a *Rufous Hummingbird* along the lower trail and a few
nuthatches; and

- As usual there were a lot of *White-crowned Sparrows *with many of
them singing.

The next field trip is the *Minto-Brown Island Park bird walk* on *Thursday,
July 5th at 7:00 a.m.* Meet at Parking Lot #3. The Ankeny NWR field
trip is scheduled for *Saturday, July 21st at 7:00 AM.* Meet at the Eagle
Marsh parking lot off of Buena Vista Rd. (*Note:* *This is a change in
meeting location.*) The next *SAS Shorts* is at Minto-Brown Island
Park on *Wednesday,
July 25th at 6:30 PM.* Meet at Parking Lot #3. Please join us if you can.

Another unique bird walk opportunity is scheduled for *Monday, July 23rd*
at Illahe Hills Country Club. It begins at 8:00 am and will end by 11:00
am. Meet in front of the golf course clubhouse. We saw a female Great
Horned Owl and its baby owl on our last trip.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Keizer Rapids Park Checklist Summary for June 26, 2018*

*Identified Species: 37*

*Checklists included in this summary: 1*

* Checklist: *Keizer Rapids Park on Jun 26, 2018 @ 8:47 AM

10 Mallard
2 Great Blue Heron
2 Turkey Vulture