Date: 6/26/18 10:41 am
From: Michael Britt <sootyshear...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Holgate seawatch
When going birding, waking up late is typically a bad thing. Thank goodness
I overslept 25 minutes because the easterlies didn't kick in, until an hour
or more after sunrise. Before that, the gnats were eating my face and
crawling in my ears! I nearly retreated to the car. Nearly. Once the wind
took the gnats away, it was quite pleasant.

Edwin B. Forsythe NWR--Holgate (Long Beach Island), Ocean, New Jersey, US
Jun 26, 2018 5:46 AM - 8:52 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: Seawatch. Calm conditions briefly around daybreak, until the
easterlies kicked in.
23 species (+1 other taxa)

White-winged Scoter 1 Drake.
Common Loon 1 S-N.
Double-crested Cormorant 3
Brown Pelican 1 Flyby N-S that sat on the water to the S for a while.
Osprey 7
American Oystercatcher 6
Willet 2
Parasitic Jaeger 1 The only months this species is rare in NJ these
days is Jan-Mar and July. Seen straight out from the parking lot harassing
LAGU & COTE. I could not age the bird due to distance but LTJA was ruled
out based on GISS, flight characteristics, and tail shape. Cape May had one
on 6/23.
Laughing Gull 35 Snapshot estimate.
Ring-billed Gull 1
Herring Gull 100 Snapshot estimate.
Lesser Black-backed Gull 5 Not unusual on NJ beaches in summer. Seen
in direct comparison to GBBG. 1st cycle (1), 2nd cycle (1), adult (3).
Great Black-backed Gull 45 Snapshot estimate
Least Tern 1
Common Tern 50 Snapshot estimate.
American Crow 3
crow sp. 1