Date: 6/26/18 10:43 am
From: CHELEMER, MARC J <mc2496...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Bobolink nesting / fledging timeline?
Jerseybirders,

This morning, on my way into work, I stopped at a wide open field at the corner of Bunn Road and Burnt Mills Road in Bedminster. A couple of weeks ago, at the end of the workday, I'd stopped here to watch no fewer than six male Bobolinks displaying simultaneously. Today, to my great upset, I saw that the entire field has been mowed to a near stubble, and all the tall grasses were laying flat, ready for making into haybales.

What is the typical nesting / breeding cycle of Bobolinks here in New Jersey? When are eggs laid, when do chicks hatch, and when do they fledge to the point that they leave the nest? I would like to have this data available and hope to try to find the field's owner to try to convince her/him/them to please let the field go unmowed until the nests are abandoned. What I saw today was clearly the graveyard of numerous chicks, or the smashing ground of numerous eggs, depending on Bobolink nesting "schedules."

Any information about Bobolink lifecycle timing would be much appreciated.

Good birding,

Marc Chelemer
Tenafly

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>